Monday, January 13, 2014

Book Review: Version Control with Git: Powerful tools and techniques for collaborative software development

Book Review:  Version Control with Git: Powerful tools and techniques for collaborative software development by Matthew McCullough and Jon Loeliger: Publisher- O'Reilly: ISBN- 13: 978-1449316389



Version Control with Git is an attempt to one book for reference, tutorial and manual. This attempt makes book bulky and confusing at time. Though book talk about installation on Windows environment but after that it completely ignores windows. In my consulting experience, I have noticed that most of the developers are on Window though servers may be running on Unix/Linux.

 

It seems to me that book assumes basic familiarity with version control systems but never states this assumption clearly.


I will prefer a book which focuses on narrow customer base rather than spray gun tactic.


Disclaimer: I did not get paid to review this book, and I do not stand to gain anything if you buy the book. I have no relationship with the publisher or the author. I got electronic format of book from publisher for review.

Further reading: There are several books on similar topic. My favorite is Pro Git.

One can get more information about book and related topics from:

 

  1. Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Version-Control-Git-collaborative-development/dp/1449316387
  2. Publisher -- Oreilly http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596520137.do
  3. Git documentation -- http://git-scm.com/documentation

No comments:

Post a Comment