Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Small Step for Service Governance

While talking about SOA Governance, one visualizes big fat software and tools which costs millions of dollars and a platoon of support staff to “govern” SOA Governance platform.
In my experience, I noticed that small baby steps always more helpful and governance should be embedded in architecture and design. Instead of SOA Governance, I like it to be service governance first.
Recently, talking to one of my counterpart at my client place, I encountered a classic case of mis governance in services space. Once service is created and deployed, its contract ( wsdl in case of web service) is freely available across enterprise which makes unknowns its customer (sic) without any controlling authority. This uncontrolled distribution and usage of contract leads to nightmares and fights when service performance decreases or new version of service need to be releases and older version to be retired.

How to avoid such dogfight!

Simply create a registry (not UDDI) of service and make sure that this registry contains the information that who is calling whom and authentication has to pass through this registry. I understand this suggestion violets purist form of SOA but in this world nothing is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment